Monday, August 25, 2008

foodie

Ok... sorry it has been a long time since my last post but here is a brief update-

1.) house purchase still ongoing unfortunately
2.) Families are for loving not hating (there are some exceptions to this rule but not when they are your parents or your siblings)
3.) some men are treasures-some men are dumps, luckily I have got the best of them all
4.) Make A Wish Foundation of Maine is my charity of choice (more to come on that)

The rest of the post:

Anyone who knows me, knows I love great food and excellent drinks... we have been a few places lately that I wanted to share with everyone.

A few weeks ago, we went to a Bangor restaurant, Perrihouse. Let me tell you, we have been to similar restaurants in the area because I personally love fine dining and with just one visit, this one escalated to the top of my list. For dinner that night, I had ribeye. Yes I ordered steak at a restaurant and I didnt have to send it back. My steak was cooked perfectly and not only that but it was piled high with carmelized onions, crumbled crip bacon and blue cheese, a few of my favorite things. Along side dinner we had some great martinis, another specialty of the Perrihouse. I had a nice sweet martini as my appetizer and then spiced things up with a dirty martini with Grey Goose for dinner, needless to say, it was one of the nicest dinners I have had in a while. To complete things for the night, we had a Maine specialty, blueberry cheesecake with anglaise sauce and caramel. I think I would go back there just for the martinis and cheesecake. If you ever get a chance, stop by the Perrihouse; http://www.perrihousedining.com/.

This past weekend, we went to the Union Fair. To start things off, I always go to the fair with the intentions of getting french fries. If I go to a fair that is the one thing that I must have... there is no negotiation, so of course I had them. These werent your typical fair fries though... these were ribbon fries, curly waifs of potato fried to a crisp and then sprinkled with salt and dipped in ketchup, they were little pieces of homemade potato goodness. Needless to say, I could have eaten several trays. Next on the agenda at the fair was something that I have never eaten but let me tell you, I would have another one again. I had a falaffel(sp). How is it made you ask?
The vendor I went to made homemade wheat flat bread on a open flame, they then added homemade hummus directly on to the warm flat bread. It was then followed by deep fried ground up chick peas and then feta cheese sprinkled on top. They then suggested putting a sauce on top, which I choose a mixture of yogurt and dill. AMAZING... if you ever get a chance try one!

Next stop on our Union tour was Sweetgrass Winery. If you read Ryan's blog, you have probably seen this name before. One of the owners works at the bank with us and we heartily enjoy their fruit wines. If you ever get a chance definitely stop by. www.sweetgrasswinery.com

They had some new items for us to sample when we stopped by saturday after the fair. The newest item for us is Cranberry Gin. I am not a gin drinker by any means but this cranberry gin is by far one of the best liquors I have had in a long time, smooth and tart at the same time, it is the perfect mixture for tonic water with a spritz of lime, what you have is a perfect companion for a night on the deck. We bought a bottle on Saturday and I am already halfway through it. An amazing treat if you are looking for something different.

Well that is all I have for now, keep checking better for some new pictures and I will be sure to get some up soon. I will also have a post in the next couple of days for Make A Wish. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

Ryan J. Moore Photography said...

YOU ALREADY DRANK HALF THE BOTTLE!!!!! WE JUST GOT THAT!!!!!

Love yoU!